Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Confessions of a Baby Bunny Killer

Hows that for an attention-getter blog title? Well, Id like to confess that I am a baby bunny killer.  Last year, I was mowing at our rental home and along the fence there was a bunny nest.  I didnt know, I PROMISE!  I was trying to make our yard pretty, and then the next think you know it was a bunny massacre.  I was contemplating some sort of therapy, but I managed to work through it.  This horror story leads now to our lastest predicament.



There is a robin that has decided to make a nest on the roof of our home.  (I know, our home does make for a wonderful nest!)  W likes to call her a 'Tweety Bird', and when I asked him the species name for such a specific bird I was told 'Tweetus Birdus'.  Lovely.  So this beautiful bird's nest has been destroyed FOUR times by my husband in the past week, and she's still not getting the hint.  We'd love for her to relocate into one of the million trees around our home and NOT the roof.  So, while W was on a business trip, she tried for the fifth time.  She thought Id be a pushover and she thought I was a softie who loves baby birds and pretty blue robin eggs.  She's totally right.  I told W that the nest was back and he INSISTED that I rid of it.  I begged... I tried convincing him that there were eggs in it and that Id then be a baby bird killer IN ADDITION to being a baby bunny killer.  I even tried to tell him that the mother instinct in Tweetus Birdus (TB) could kick in and I might have my eye pecked out.  He didnt care.  He's ruthless.  So, I found myself outside with a broom (and sunglasses to protect my eyes... and a camera to document my baby masssacre... and two pugs running into the middle of the road to chase cars) to destroy something that TB spent hours creating for her family.  With one sweep it was gone.  But, GOOD NEWS!  There werent any eggs in it yet!!!  Phew!  So, I looked at the nest and thought: maybe she can save it, after all.  So I picked it up and relocated it to the nearest tree.  Think she'll get the hint??  (I do vaguely remember something about them smelling the human scent and hating us, but Im going to pretend that's not true and she will appreciate such a kind gesture.)

Confessions of a Baby Bird SAVER?  I think so. I was willing to risk being pecked to death on my way into the house every morning to save those nonexistent pretty blue eggs. I think I have redemmed myself from the bloody massacre of three bunnies in my backyard last year.  Yes? (No.  Definitely no.)

On a totally unrelated note, Id also like to give a shout out (who still says that!?) to some blog friends of mine!  Check out Becky at The Details are in the Fabric and Sarah at Sarah's Got a Sweet Tooth who inspired me to start Many Faithful Journeys, and go meet my new blog friend, Steph at Thoughts From Cali.

-Elizabeth

1 comment:

  1. I'm loving your blog!... And your template!!! Nice work. And I am so excited that you gave my blog a shout out!! Wow! :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete